What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease, also referred to as periodontal disease, is a widespread condition where the gums bleed easily and can become sore. This is caused by the development of a plaque layer on teeth that contain bacteria. Plaque is a sticky film that develops on teeth due to inadequate oral hygiene maintenance. Efficient toothbrushing can very easily remove plaque. However, if left untreated, the plaque bugs initiate an inflammatory response in the gums, causing sore, swollen, and bleeding gums.
When gum disease is not treated it can lead to periodontitis. It is an irreversible condition where presence of gum inflammation results in gum attachment and bone loss around the affected teeth. This gum attachment loss and bone resorption results in the formation of periodontal pockets around the involved teeth roots. Eventually, the teeth become loose and painful and might need to be removed.
Treatment And Prevention of Gum Disease – Periodontal Therapy
If you are looking for an affordable periodontist in the Blackheath, London area, you have come to the right place! We have got a dentist with special interest in Periodontics, who is very passionate about oral and gum health and offer a full range of non-surgical periodontal therapy services at our Artisan Implants Periodontics South London practice.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
- Bleeding gums (usually the first symptom)
- Gums that are red or swollen
- Tender gums
- Sensitive teeth
- Loose teeth
- Painful chewing
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, and are looking for the best periodontist in London, call us today to get in-depth assessment and a treatment plan for your individual case.
Risk Factors Associated with Periodontitis
- Inadequate oral Hygiene
- Genetic susceptibility
- Poorly controlled diabetes
- Some medications
How is Periodontitis Treated at our London Practice?
Regular cleanings and check-ups with your dentist and daily brushing and flossing can help keep early gum disease in control. But, if your case has progressed and is more severe, you may require:
- At Artisan Implants, Dr Uzma Umer achieves this through deep cleaning of the root surfaces, which is considered the gold standard treatment for chronic periodontitis.
- Prescription mouthwash or medicine
- Patient education in effective daily plaque control.
- Regular professional supportive care including reinforcement of oral hygiene instructions and motivation
- Follow-up the treatment progression with radiographs, as required.
- Surgical phase is indicated when the initial treatment has failed to achieve the desired outcome.
- Surgery is aimed at getting access to deep pockets to remove plaque and tartar trapped deep pockets.
- Surgery can also be used to reposition the gums in a more favourable position for better long-term cleaning, or to do bone graft around the affected teeth where indicated.
- Stop smoking and tobacco use. Quitting will help your gums heal faster and better after treatment.
What is the Cost of a Periodontist in the UK?
The cost of periodontics and implant dentistry in London varies depending upon your specific case. After your London periodontist has examined your teeth and mouth, they will work out the best course of treatment. The cost for your periodontal therapy will depend on how extensive the gum disease is, at the initial presentation.
Just remember, treating gum disease is a lot cheaper than having to replace teeth that get lost when gum disease goes untreated.
If you are looking for a periodontist consultation, please feel free to contact us today. We look forward to providing you with the most beautiful smile in London! Artisan Implants, your London periodontics, and implant dentistry practice!